Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Greenwich Borough FC app


1st XI - Match centre

Greenwich Borough
Hythe Town
Sat 16 Feb 15:00 - The Bostik Football League - South East Division Full time Attendance 107

Borough v Hythe


Borough Back with A Bang

Borough deservedly beat Hythe Town Fc team who showed more determination and desire as we went on to win 2-0 at the DRS Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Borough were first to threaten as new signing Ben Allen launched a shot high over the bar in the first minute. Hythe had their first effort on four minutes as Kieron Campbell played the ball onto Nigel Neita but home keeper Oliver Webber blocked well. Borough could have been ahead as early as the sixth minute as Teshaune Tyreece Walters broke free and was brought down by Hythe keeper George Kamurasi in the penalty area. Fortunately for Hythe, new signing Ben Allen (on loan from Gillingham) sent his penalty kick way wide of the left-hand post and the chance was gone. Two minutes later Hythe had the ball in the net as Campbell played the ball into Zak Ansah who passed to Ollie Rowe. The defender bundled the ball over the line only for the referee’s assistant to flag for offside and the goal was ruled out.

Campbell did have an attempt on ten minutes but his shot rolled into the arms of Webber. On 17 minutes, Borough were to take the lead as they surged forward down the hill. Rowe failed to clear and new signing Luke Leppard broke through slotting the ball home to make it 1-0 on his debut. There was one more chance for the hosts as Ryan King-Elliott charged in but Kamurasi was quick to come out to block. The rest of the half saw both sides fail to create any meaningful chances and Borough were the happier team at the break.

The balance of play did not change in the second half but Hythe were to have the first opportunity as on 50 minutes Ansah sent a free kick from twenty yards high over the bar. Kamurasi was to deny Borough as Beati Valler fed Leppard but the keeper was quickly off his line to prevent a shot. A long-range effort followed from Hythe new signing Joey Taylor but it flew into Webber’s arms and then at the other end a dipping shot from Reece Cave sailed just over the bar.

Borough were to put the game out of the reach of the visitors on 62 minutes as Kamurasi firstly denied Leppard as the striker broke in but his second tackle was adjudged to have been unfair and a second penalty was awarded. This time Kayne Roberts was given the responsibility and he sent Kamurasi the wrong way to make it 2-0. Hythe had their best opportunity to get back in the game on 69 minutes as Webber blocked a shot from Neita with his legs and then at the other end a long-range effort from Rhys Paul sailed into Kamurasi’s arms. Hythe had their last serious attack ten minutes from time as they had a couple of shots before Neita’s final attempt was blocked.

It was a excellent performance from a team in transformation and are now confident that avoiding relegation this season will now be achieved. Borough's will have an opportunity to build on this performance next Saturday (23rd February 2019) as they travel to Haywards Heath 3:pm.

Get the team together and play Fantasy League

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other South East Division results

Hastings United
Ashford United
Cray Wanderers
East Grinstead Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
14. Three Bridges 36 41
15. Herne Bay 36 38
16. Sittingbourne 36 37
17. Faversham Town 36 37
18. Guernsey 36 30
19. Greenwich Borough 36 27
20. Thamesmead Town 0 0


Club sponsors